November is American Diabetes Month, an opportunity to raise awareness of the dangers of developing diabetes and the treatment options available. According to recent studies, about 86 million people in America are at risk of developing diabetes, largely due to the high-sugar Western diet and fast food popularity. However, the primary risk factor for developing diabetes is being overweight or obese. In fact, 90 percent of type 2 diabetes sufferers are either overweight or obese. Fortunately, there are natural, healthy ways to prevent diabetes and slim your waistline, even if you are overweight.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar: A $5 bottle of vinegar can give you almost the same appetite suppressing effects for months as expensive pharmaceuticals. Researchers have found that taking diluted vinegar before eating suppresses your appetite and boosts your satiety. Taking diluted vinegar right before a meal also directly protects you from and helps treat diabetes. Participants who took two teaspoons of vinegar right before eating experienced 20 percent lowered blood sugar levels after their meal compared with the control group.
2. Daily Alpha Lipoic Supplements: Alpha-lipoic acid supplements can help treat type 2 diabetes by improving insulin resistance. They can also help heal the side effects caused by diabetes, like nerve damage caused by chronic diabetes and damage to retinas. The supplement also alleviates chronic lower back pain.
3. Green Coffee Bean Extract: Researchers have found that taking green coffee bean extract can help you lose weight and lower your blood sugar levels. Green coffee bean extract is a good natural treatment for diabetes.
4. Intermittent Fasting: Intermittent fasting is a popular weight loss strategy that can help prevent diabetes too. When you intermittently fast intentionally, you usually eat on a set schedule. If you skip a meal every day, you are taking in fewer calories. Logically, you would lose weight if you are taking in fewer calories than you are spending because of the missing meal.
5. Red Wine: Wine can cut down how much fat you gain by 40 percent. It also improves your heart health the same way that exercising moderately for an hour does. A glass of red wine before dinner keeps your weight gain down by almost half. Red wine may also help you lose weight because it promotes your stagnant fats to burn actively without you exercising.
6. Protein Powder: Protein powders can help you lose weight and help prevent and treat diabetes too. Taking whey protein lowers your insulin and blood sugar levels while also boosting your muscle growth. Rice protein powder has been found to lower blood sugar levels and boost fat burning better than casein protein powder. Vegetable-based protein powders protect your heart, kidneys, and boost your immunity while animal-based protein powders don’t offer these extra benefits.
By incorporating these natural remedies into your daily routine, you can reduce your risk of developing diabetes and lose weight. However, it is important to remember that prevention is key. By adopting healthy eating and exercise habits, you can protect yourself from this debilitating condition. Make sure to talk to your doctor about the best ways to prevent and treat diabetes. This November, let’s work towards raising awareness and taking action to prevent diabetes.