10 Shocking Facts About Processed Foods That Will Make You Rethink Your Diet
Processed foods have become a ubiquitous part of our daily diet, with over 70% of our calorie intake coming from them. However, these foods aren’t just unhealthy–they’re downright dangerous. Here are 10 shocking facts about processed foods that will make you rethink your diet:
1. Most of our diet is made up of processed foods. According to Melanie Warner, author of Pandora’s Lunchbox, 7 out of every 10 foods we eat are altered with chemical ingredients.
2. Processed foods are addictive. They’re designed to stimulate dopamine, a neurotransmitter that also lights up when we take drugs like cocaine.
3. The number of additives in processed foods is growing every year. Currently, there are close to 5,000 additives allowed in our food.
4. Many processed foods contain disgusting ingredients like titanium dioxide (used in paints and sunscreens), silicon dioxide (also known as sand), lanolin (an oily substance found in sheep’s wool), and cellulose (ground-up wood pulp).
5. Eating a diet high in processed foods has been proven to take years off your life.
6. The “Western Diet,” which consists of processed foods like potato chips, sugary snacks, and refined grains, will make you fat.
7. Processed foods have been a root cause of nearly every modern disease. A comprehensive research review of 172 clinical studies concluded that virtually all chronic diseases are partially caused by our modern diet of engineered foods.
8. Eating processed foods can cause your body to burn 50% fewer calories.
9. Processed foods disrupt the microorganisms in your digestive tract, causing imbalances that can lead to serious health problems.
10. Processed meats like bacon, ham, and sausages have been linked to an increased risk of heart disease and type II diabetes.
With all these dangers associated with processed foods, it’s important to start phasing them out of our diet. Instead, focus on consuming real, whole foods that will nourish your body and keep you healthy.